Blackboard Collaborate is an online virtual classroom where you can engage in lectures and tutorials with your lecturers and tutors, all from the comfort of your own home. If you have never taken part in a Bb Collaborate session before, you’re in the right place.
If you have never participated in a live Bb Collaborate session before, please access the First Time Users check to configure your computer.
To take part in a Bb Collaborate session you will need:
- Access to the Internet and a current web browser.
- A headset or speakers – so that you can hear your lecturer speak.
- A microphone – although this isn’t vital as you can use the chat window to ask questions of your lecturer. If you have a headset with a built in microphone, then you can use it to ask questions of your lecturer and talk to your fellow students.
Access your Bb Collaborate session via Blackboard
- Login to your Blackboard unit and select the Bb Collaborate link from the menu. If the session is available, the session name will be linked.
- Right mouse click on the session link and select “Open it in a new window”. Your Bb Collaborate session should download a Java applet and automatically start.
View recorded Bb Collaborate sessions
- Login to your Blackboard unit and select the Bb Collaborate link from the menu.
- Select the Recordings Tab.
- Select the date or month range of when the session was recorded and click the GO button.
- Any sessions recorded during that date range will be listed below. Simply click on the recording to play it.
Bb Collaborate resources
Access the online Bb Collaborate Help to become familiar with how to use Collaborate. In addition to this online help (which is fully searchable and can be bookmarked for later reference), the most popular/useful guides are provided below.
- Bb Collaborate Getting Started for Participants Quick Reference Guide
- Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing Participant Orientation(1:38 min recording)
Follow the steps on this page to get the required software and complete your setup by accessing the Configuration Room which can be used to test your connection, settings and configure your audio.
Blackboard Collaborate help
Visit the Blackboard Collaborate Technical Support site or you can speak to someone over the phone (Call 1800 26 7338 – this is a 24-hour 7-day help phone line).
Blackboard Collaborate Mobile App
The App allows you to participate in a scheduled Blackboard Collaborate session using your mobile device. Although it isn’t as powerful as the web version of Blackboard Collaborate, it still provides access to the most commonly used functions.
Participants can use the mobile App to:
- Listen and talk to participants and moderators
- Interact with the session via the text chat
- View whiteboard content and shared applications
- Raise their hands, respond to polls, or participate in breakout rooms.
How do I connect?
There are two main ways to join a Collaborate session.
- Through your Blackboard unit using the Blackboard mobile App.
- Through your Blackboard unit using a web browser.
Simply click on the active session link and the BB Collaborate mobile App will automatically open, connecting you to the session.